1. New running shoes came in the mail!
2. Short run.
3. Laughing with students even though I was exhausted.
4. One of my kids just wanted to be hugged. And I’m cool with that. Because she’s great and it’s my honor to love her well.
5. Genevieve for reminding me that no matter what I can’t deny my spiritual experience. They formed me and will always be true.
6. This guy who’s motivated to do stuff he cares about, which motivated me to do stuff I care about.
7. Finally opened up my splashguard for my pottery wheel: voila I’m great at throwing again!
8. Taking a shower only to get covered in mud. I love clay. I love creating. And I love the slippery mush that covers me.
9. My brother for “checking in” by sending me funny sibling videos.
10. And this video for making me feel the feels!
Why is it so hard to break a funk and do the things that make us healthy and happy? Specific to me: running and blogging. I get on a cycle and I’m all about it, and then it’s like my brain goes, wait, this is TOO good, I don’t recognize you any more, and self sabotages. Or something way less dramatic. So. Thanks to my soul sister Genevieve for bullying me into writing a list. Here’s my recent top 10.
1. Saturday night. Watching my friend unwind and have a blast, laughing and smiling.
2. Getting three foreign strangers to Night-at-the-Roxbury her.
3. Having the energy to run AFTER work.
4. Having the energy and attitude to PLAY at work, rather than just work.
5. Watching my boss deal with difficult children, and learning how to handle it with grace and peace.
6. Enjoying my walks to work.
7. Coworkers who volunteer to drive me home.
8. Chocolate croissants.
9. Little baby English bulldogs.
10. New babysitting jobs.
Check me out! Making lists and working on a healthy soul and stuff!
Thanks, Genevieve. 😘
But, little decisions shouldn’t be. Literally: couldn’t decide between making lunch and putting away laundry. To the point that I had trouble breathing. SO SILLY. But, an example of how anxiety can creep up and ruin my beautiful Sunday. Ten things that helped me breathe/ pause anxiety.
1. I came to my Mom’s house. Isn’t it great to have a place to go that has a piece of you? I’m definitely romanticizing, but I love having a home.
2. Hugs from mom.
3. Little brother made me lunch.
4. Sunny drive.
5. Curled puppy in my lap.
6. Lovely friends who offer to just be there.
7. Silly sister trying to make me laugh.
8. Seeing familiar faces at Gwinnett Church.
9. Having a schedule for the next few days. Having certain decisions made for me helps a lot.
10. Knowing that this wave will pass.
I’m not happy right now.
A police officer called to tell me an hour ago that they found my car, but that I should look for a new one.
It was sold for scraps and parts.
Somehow, this news is immeasurably more violating and upsetting than my car being out in the abyss.
My car, that I bought with all my saved pennies at 16, drove all over Georgia going back and forth from college, road tripping with my brother to see my dad, driving to high school with my brother, and had dance parties on the way to swim practice.
Someone not only took it but took it apart. And there’s no getting it back. It’s violating. So, I’m not happy.
I can try to be grateful. Here’s a list of ten worse things involving my car that could have happened.
1. I wasn’t carjacked.
2. I didn’t run over anyone.
3. I didn’t get run over.
4. My car didn’t explode.
5. I wasn’t involved in a ten car pileup.
6. My tire didn’t blow setting me swerving around I 85.
7. Nobody died.
8. It wasn’t my fault.
9. I wasn’t texting and driving.
10. I wasn’t caught hot boxing.
Okay the last two might not be worse but they’d be bad and humiliating.
It’s also Ashley’s birthday. So, let’s see… 10 reasons Ashley is amazing and I shouldn’t be so sad about no car.
1. She’s a pirate.
2. She’s a princess.
3. She’s conscious of growing.
4. Have you seen her hair?
5. She’s a Latina: reina.
6. She taught me to eat Oreos with gelato.
7. She dyes my hair for me. Like a boss.
8. Her smile is like magic!
9. She’s great at making you feel special.
10. She’ll almost always go get a Greek salad and beer with me.
1. Not lucky they stole my CAR. Just lucky they stole MY car, because:
-I can walk to work
-I work out by running loops from my house
-My brother owes me like a million rides from the years he didn’t have a car.
If any of my roommates had their car stolen:
Kate: has to drive to work and school
Ash: commutes 40+minutes every day for work
Genevieve: works all over and HAS to drive
Michelle: constantly driving to and from school and the library across town for med school.
So, see? Lucky it was MINE if it had to happen.
2. How pretty organization makes all my junk. I hung my nail polish shelf on the wall and just want to stare at it.
3. I love decluttering. And I’m on a roll, so nobody get in my way.
4. I love Raging Burrito. Forever and ever and to Pluto and back. Thai salad? The stuff dreams are made of.
5. The Happiness Project. Seriously amazing insight into habits and science of being happy. And I’m loving it. Also the reason I’m decluttering like no other right now.
6. Thankful for other people’s rage at my car situation. Seriously: I’m pretty calm about it, and trying to see the good. But you KNOW it’s the absolute worst when you’re upset and someone else tries to lessen the magnitude of the situation with their positive outlook. Just saying. It’s nice to let other people get upset while maintaining calm. Thanks, guys. 🙂
7. Bare Minerals Moxie lipstick. Hot pink. Ooh la la!!
8. Two hours spent in Barnes and Noble are two hours you will never regret.
9. Spending the entire day with Liz is also never a regret.
10. Waking up in a clean and ordered and beautiful room! So proud. Such a happy feeling.